[Bf-committers] Gameengine - ODE and Python

maci_ray bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:17:58 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Willian

> From what I know, the situation is this: when Blender became
> open-source, SOLID (the collision lib) was taken out because of its
> non-free license.  A developer tried to integrate ODE, but stopped due
> to lack of time.

I tried to start there, but the success was quite small. Physics seem to
work, if I activate phantom, what eleminates the collision (geom) stuff.

BTW: I upgraded to ODE 0.039, with MSVC compiler and a full debugging build
for better research. Maybe Kesters cvs-Ode does it better.

> The SOLID author will publish a book about it and free
> the sources, but the book release was postponed and may take some months
> yet.  Recently Ton was offered to include SOLID in binary form, with the
> API documented, but that could conflict with Blender's license, so it
> didn't happen and possibly the better decision is to wait till SOLID is
> open-sourced.

I think so, too.

> The main problem is that, as far as I know, there's no developer working
> on the game engine code.  That's obviously a big big problem, even if
> SOLID comes back and the game engine is reactivated.

In the mailing list two other developers came out :-).

> It's also been discussed that separating the game engine from Blender
> (making it a stand-alone app to run .blend game files created with
> Blender) would be a good idea.

I think this would be very bad. I love the way acting as make some
objects, meshes and just press P to see what is going on.

> But anyway, without developers, things are not looking good for it.
> I've read about users trying to find interested coders in 3d game
> dev forums, etc.  No success yet.

These seem to be very shy people :-).

> If you (or others) are willing to work on it, make basic documentation
> (look in the blender/doc cvs dir for examples like the python one) to
> help others jump in, etc -- get discussions going -- then we'd have a
> start.

I think, a picture says more than thousend words. So I use UML (at beginners
level :-) ).

> About your diagrams, if you can post them somewhere, I'd be interested :).

I`ll send them directly to you.

Maci_Ray.

Logos und Klingeltöne fürs Handy bei http://sms.yahoo.de