[Bf-committers] Gameengine - ODE and Python

Kester Maddock bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:29:42 +1200

Hi Michael,

It's funny how these things come up - I starting poking the game engine this
weekend.  This is what I accomplished:

Updated ODE from ODE cvs.  ODE now depends on OPCODE (OPtimised COllision
DEtection) which is included in the ODE cvs for trimesh collision support.

Code to trigger the sensors that depend on collision detection: ray, touch,
collision and near.

Sound.  Sound plays on Linux.  intrr has disabled the game engine sound - my
sound driver will allow /dev/dsp to be opened more than once.

TODO:
1. radar: ode has no cone primitive.  Ray: only works along the +z axis.  I'm
going to look at the ODE transfrom class and see if that helps.  If that
works, radar could be implemented by firing rays in a randomly within the
cone.

2. Use ODE trimesh support.  Only box and sphere bounding boxes are used.

3. Cleanup memory management. Not doing that yet! :(

4. Write an SDL audio out.

5. Wrap ODE in Python for Blender - cloth simulations etc.

The physics is a bit different to 2.24 - less game physics, more real physics.
eg a sphere above an inclined plane will drop and roll down instead of
bouncing down.

Kester