[Bf-committers] Gameengine - ODE and Python

Patrick bf-committers@blender.org
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 17:22:08 -0700

Hi Michael.  I've been trying to work on speed issues in the game
engine, working with tupohuu and using the ODE version just so that I
have a game engine to test my code in.  Sutabi is also doing little
things in the game engine, but I think he may have gotten disheartened a
while back when he was having trouble.  Anyway, I think ODE completion
would be the best way to go if we don't get those SOLID libraries,
especially now that it has collision detection.  But I'm not sure if I'm
a good enough programmer for that, I am struggling over the
should-be-simple culling code I'm working with, so we'll see what
happens.  If no one else will, I'll work on it, but I can't guarantee
results.

Making the Blender.Mesh, Blender.Image functions work in realtime would
be really good, that's exceptionally lacking in the game engine.  An
external .blend player shouldn't be all that difficult as that is kind
of what version 2.25 did with .exe's.  Except for the converter, most of
the game engine is independant from the rest of blender as far as I can
tell.

Anyway, there are a lot of things to be worked on, and I'm only one,
inexperienced programmer, so if you are willing to help out by either
documenting the sources or showing me some diagrams, or digging your
hands in there yourself, I would appreciate it!

There are a lot of people who would be extremely happy to see some
progress, unfortunately most of us don't have the skills to make it happen.