[Bf-committers] 2.28 Ahoy 2!

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:49:33 +0200

Hi Nathan,

No panic! Here's my reasons why I've implemented it this way:

- the commits you did for this system were so many, that I could not
locate all changes for it. So I've loaded tuhopuu.exe, checked what I
liked from it, and started over from scratch.

- I've only copied the shader algorithm code you provided. Even that
needed cleanup to match coding style in Blender better :)

- Yep, I completely forgot about the texture channels for it. A nice
addition for a 2.29 release!

- The buttons layout you did in Tuhopuu really was messy, with buttons
crammed together below a minimum acceptible size. I know it's a pity I
couldnt find space to make shader buttons a slider, but the current
layout at least groups most functions together that relate;
   - the 'vpaint col' etc options with the RGB sliders
   - all shader options (and spec and ref sliders) together
It was the closest I could think of to remain in the current layout...
we now really need a method to expand buttons easier. Proposals for
that are being discussed.

- I found some tuhopuu code that related to shader plugins, but could
not find clues how it was supposed to work. Apart from that, I don't
even *know* if we want it in bf-blender. Plugins in the past (texture,
sequence) only have given us troubles. My preference is to look first
if we can do this with Python. The python coders already investigate
feasibility. Then at least we have something stable & cross platform.
I am very confident the current implementation can easily be tweaked
for such plugins. Let's first discuss & research this topic!

- Blender already used the 'hardness' value to determine specular size.
I decided to copy that for Blinn, since it works almost the same. I
transformed the hardness integer value to a float, with a formula
that's close to what Phong and CookTorrance offer. The 'roughness' you
provided in Tuhopuu was impossible to work with... with a slider which
offered the most interesting results in the lower 1% of the values.
I realize what i did is not 'scientifically correct'... it was just a
quick decision, with the aim to make something that worked. I also
didn't know the Blinn roughness was tied to Oren's roughness. In all
articles I read about it, I couldn't find a reference for it.
Again, no harm done if we decide later on to change it. Blender
filereader can convert it.

- The 'Toon diffuse' size value can of course easily be allowed to go
up to 1.7.

Cessen, I really liked your idea to improve the shading in Blender, and
the code for the math was extremely welcome. I will be glad to further
work with you on this, and come together with improvements for further
releases.

-Ton-