[Bf-committers] 2.28 Ahoy 2!

Nathan Vegdahl bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:02:22 -0700 (PDT)

I keep on realizing more and more things wrong with the material system.  I
really should just wait until I've figured out everything...

   Based on empirical evidence, it appears that much of the underlying
structure I had coded for the shading system was not carried over during the
port.  That structure was *very* important for the planned plugin-system.  If
it is left as is, it will be very difficult to impliment the shader plugin
system without breaking compatability.  And, even in terms of the short-term,
the structure put in place made it very easy to add additional shaders (it was
set-up such that no further modifications needed to be made to SDNA to add
additional shaders, regardless of the number of shader parameters it would
entail).

   On a more minor issue: another problem I noticed with the Blinn shader in
2.28 is that even at it's highest hardness setting (255), the specular
highlight still doesn't get nearly as sharp as the underlying shader code
allows.  And, on the flip side, even at a setting of 1, it doesn't get as broad
as the underlying shader allows.

   I hate to ask this, but is it possible to roll-back just the shader
up-dates, and postpone it till a later release (so that we can hopefully get
the shader system ported in it's entirety)?  I feel really bad about
criticising Ton's work so much, because he really *did* do a great job of
porting it for not knowing the reasons why everything was the way it was.

   Again, I apologize for all of the trouble.  I've made a real mess out of
things.  I feel terrible.  :-(

--Nathan Vegdahl