[Bf-committers] Group selection menu

Alexander Ewering bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:12:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Douglas Bischoff wrote:

> I think you got the descriptions of 1 & 2 backwards?

Sorry, yes.

> Hm... do you mean <shift>-P for "Select Parent" and <shift>-C for
> "Select Children?" If so, that's not a bad idea: would make traversing
> heirarchies easier (as you say). The "Select Children" would be a bit
> more awkward if you have 2 child objects, each of which have their own
> 2 child objects, etc. You might get the object you WANT... but you'd
> also end up with a BUNCH you don't.

Well, SHIFT-C would not be for traversing, but rather for
just selecting everything below, AFTER you have traversed
'upwards' with SHIFT-P. SHIFT-C would select ALL children,
not just immediate ones.

This feature has been tested extensively at instinctive,
and I believe that it makes workflow a lot easier.

Take a table in a room as an example. The table has a cup
on it, and the cup a spoon inside. The hierarchy is

Room -> Table -> Cup -> Spoon

Now you want to move the whole 'table thing' to a different
layer. Just select the Table, SHIFT-C, M.
- or - select the spoon, SHIFT-P-P-C, M.

I think it's worth it :)