[Bf-committers] Group selection menu

Alexander Ewering bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:54:23 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I've just committed the "Group selection" menu, which offers the
following options (use SHIFT-G to invoke):

  1 - Children
  2 - Immediate Children
  3 - Parent
  4 - Objects on shared layers

  1: Selects all direct children of the active object
  2: Select all children, children's children etc. of the active object
  3: Makes the parent of the current object active, and deselects the
     active object
  4: Selects all objects that share at least one layer with the active
     object

Useful for stepping through object hierarchies and for quickly selecting
objects belonging together.

The question now is: Does it make sense to assign SHIFT-P (still free)
as a hotkey for 'Parent', and SHIFT-C for 'Children'? That way, one can
very quickly find and select object hierarchies. (Select any object
in the hierarchy, hit SHIFT-P until you find the desired 'parent level',
then just SHIFT-C to select all children and duplicate them, move them
to another layer, etc.)

This should probably go to funboard, but it seems nobody is reading
there anyway, so I posted it here :)

Opinions?