[Bf-committers] constraints

Martin Poirier bf-committers@blender.org
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 19:13:46 -0700 (PDT)

> Hi Martin,

Hey Ton

> Thanks! Although I didn't have time yet to review
> your patch, this
> indeed was the purpose... replacing tracking &
> parenting with
> Constraints.

Talking about replacing Parenting, I agree with what
Jean said on the funtionality board. That is, Tracking
is well suited for replacement by a constraint, since
Tracking is really a constraint while Parenting is
more a relationship that a constraint IMHO.

> Before committing & releasing this, I would prefer
> to have a review of
> the current Constraint code, to evaluate if it's
> integrated well enough
> to fully replace the old style tracking & parenting,
> and especially:
> this should improve it!

I also adapted the code to make Alt-T clear the
constraint list of all the tracking constraint.
I added Up and Track flag support for the track
constraint, so you can effectivly have those settings
on a per constraint basis instead of per object
(really useful for armature).
Added some code in the backward compatibility loop in
readfile to convert object->track to a constraint and
convert the object's flag to constraints flag for
existing constraints.

All that should be added in Tuhopuu soon enough for
further testing.

> On my agenda... but who more here is interested in
> becoming familiar
> with general Constraints, and help finishing its
> design?

For anyone that would like to be more familiar with
the constraint code, I'm almost finish writting my
little How To about adding a constraint.

Martin