[Bf-committers] Casting arrays (matrices)

Douglas Toltzman bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 18:43:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So much passion over such a minor topic! :-)
>
> Of course I understand the advantage of a 'const char' string. I am
> talking about something else here. Read this prototype for a function:
>
> void Mat3Invert(float mat1[][3], const float mat2[][3])
>
> Now here, some purist coder thought to be helpful. Instead he made an
> error. The second matrix is not 'const' itself, but only the mat2
> POINTER is! Well, is that interesting to know!
>
> I don't know why it gives warnings. Doesn't interest me. If you want to
> add information to these calls, use a nice /* comment */
>
> And don't reply to this without checking every texbook you have on C!

I take this as a personal challenge.  I have personally written over
1,000,000 lines of production C code in my 20 year career as a software
developer.  I'm also a big user of the "const" modifier.  The prototype
that you offered is saying that the contents of the mat2 array are not to
be modified, although I've had some trouble from the GNU compiler over
this construct.  In order to say the pointer is not modifiable, one would
write "float const mat2[][3]".  If I am wrong it is only because I have
managed to avoid the use of array constructs in prototype for most of my
life.  I would write the prototype as "const float *mat2" and document
that mat2 pointed to an array of float triplets.  Personally, I find the
float pointer a lot easier to digest and manipulate.  Since C does pointer
arithmetic, it seems to me that the offset calculation is trivial.

Alas, you can throw your book at me if you wish.  I taught C/C++
programming at the university for long enough to discover that most of the
text books are seriously flawed because most authors are not seasoned
programmers and good programmers don't have time to write books!

I offer the following code for reference;

#include <stddef.h>

void move_floats( float *targ, const float *src, size_t numfloats )
{
  size_t i;
  for (i=0; i < numfloats; i++) {
    *targ++ = *src++;  /* note that the src pointer is being altered */
  }
  return;
}

int main()
{
  const float j[3]={1.5,2.3,4.6};
  float t[3];

  move_floats(t,j,sizeof(j)/sizeof(j[0]));

  return 0;
}