[Bf-committers] Quicktime License issue....

LarstiQ bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:35:00 +0100

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 06:47:16PM +0100, Stefan Gartner wrote:
> QuickTime is part of OS X, so from a legal standpoint adding QuickTime
> import/export would be ok for the OS X version of blender?
>
> Although libquicktime (which is released under the LGPL) is also available for
> OS X...
>
> BTW, the only GPL project I know that uses QuickTime is macam, a USB webcam
> driver/capturing app for OS X: http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/

Another alternative for reading the Quicktime fileformat and several
others is ffmpeg: ffmpeg.sourceforge.net, it's licensed under the LGPL
and available for OSX, Linux and Windows, not sure about the other
platforms.

Mplayer and xine are two well known video players that make use of it.
There have been some concerns about it's legality with respect to
patents, I'm not sure how that will effect blender if we just make use
of it's api.

Alas, from the documentation it doesn't seem to support the encoding of
Quicktime.

LarstiQ