[Bf-committers] Python!

Jacek Popławski bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 00:39:30 +0100

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 01:43:09PM +0100, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> Hi Jacek & everyone here,

Hi, sorry for delay but I was busy working with Decopter release ;-)

> I've had no direct involvement with the implementation itself. I only
> kept saying "keep it compatible" and "make sure it works". But that's
> something people don't like to do, it seems...

I discussed Python stuff with few people on irc, and looks like everyone want
first to make it 100% work like before, i.e. like in 2.23.

> Not only for the current 2.2x Blenders, but
> especially for the future, Python will play an increasingly important
> role...

IMHO future goal should be to give Python access to _all_ Blender functions,
including user interface. Imagine 1000s of python scripts available, 1000s
Blender extensions!

The question is: should Blender module be slowly extended by new stuff, or new
API should be created? Just like there was Blender210 there could be
FutureBlender. It even sounds well! :-)

In current version it is impossible to read armature/bones. For example I need
to read vertices in every frame of animation. In Blender 2.23 it was possible
by GetRawFromObject, now data returned in every frame is same!.

Is anyone against creating new API?

--
Free Software - find interesting programs and change them
NetHack - meet interesting creatures, kill them and eat their bodies