[Bf-committers] Python!

Laurence Bourn bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:39:06 +0100

Python is dangerous.
If it wraps up your code, it can end up suffocating it, like a wee timerous
beasty.

One of the problems, I think was associated with past python
implementtations is that they were built directly onto weak, ill thought out
C,C++ interfaces. It becomes more and more difficult to refactor, improve
existing C,C++ code because you have essentially exposed it's internal
working (through the python API) to end-users. This was definately a problem
in the game engine in my opinion.

Given the state of blender code, I would strongly recommend implementing an
abstract and bomb-proof interface in C,C++ and wrapping/exposing that in
python rather than the original blender structures. Then at least we can
start removing some of the self imposed constraints on the blender design.

The second points of course is what Frank said...

> As Ton mentioned, first we have to define what calls python
> should be able
> to do: defining the API. Then it has to be implemented in C/C++.

Cheers,
Loza.