[Bf-committers] Python!

Frank van Beek bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 00:10:17 +0100 (CET)

Hi Charles,

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Charles Wardlaw wrote:

> What kind of work are we looking at with regards to python?  IE, what's
> broken, what worked in previous versions that doesn't now (I hear the
> one of the Mesh modules no longer works?)?

As Ton mentioned, first we have to define what calls python should be able
to do: defining the API. Then it has to be implemented in C/C++.

> Has there been any talk already about possibly moving the python
> glue-code into SWIG.

Swig could be a tool to expose C/C++ functions to python or perl or any
other of the supported languages. But it's not wise to expose the current
C/C++ functions as is. You'll want a layer of abstaction between the
actual C/C++ functions and the functions that can be called from within
python.

Frank. (who has never written more then 10 lines of python code ;-))