[Bf-committers] NEW CVS!

Fri, 3 Jan 2003 16:26:09 +0100

Hi all,

So! The cvs repository has moved to the new projects site. For cvs
diehards nothing really changes, just a new url to use as cvsroot:

setenv CVSROOT :pserver:xxxxxx@cvs.blender.org:/cvsroot/bf-blender

Where xxxxxx is the name you use to subscribe to the projects site.
'anonymous' is possible as well. More interesting is the fact we can
facilitate the projects now a lot better. Take some time to play around
with the gforge features at projects.blender.org... most of them work,
with as exception the maillist option. That will remain temporally
hosted by the old system. Commits are still anonymous too, but that's
something stefan will fix today/tomorrow.

Grorge projects have 'admins' and 'members'. All of them have cvs write
access. So the current people with cvs commit rights will be added
today by me as project members.
As admins, I've appointed Kent Mein, Maarten Gribnau and Rob Haarsma.
Oh, and myself! Although I (still) don't plan to play an active role
now... to much stuff at the general Foundation todo list. Kent, Maarten
and Rob have my full support, I will be glad leaving all the nasty
management decisions to them <grin>.
Anyone who feels like becoming project member can just contact one of
the admins.

We think of moving out the Ghost library, as a separate project. This
library has good value for other (non Blender) projects as well. For
the near future, it might be wise to split up in more (sub)projects.
Like 'physics' (ODE) or 'python' or 'armatures' or 'sequence-editor' or
'sound'... etcetera. These will be completely separate projects, with a
complete cvs tree. Sub-projects can merge back their changes to the
bf-blender tree once they feel confident it's working.

You can also find some other projects at the projects.blender.org site.
For example 'classic' - not activated yet - as a fun back-to-basics
project.
New project proposals are welcome, complete forks but also non-blender
projects... although some relationship with 3d and/or Blender is a
prerequisite. I will approve on new projecs myself, consulting the
admins of course... :)

Questions or bug-reports on projects.blender.org can be posted at the
'Bforge' project.

So, that's about it. Have fun, and let's start this new year in style!

-Ton-