[Bf-committers] Problem (crashes) with blender cvs and dri on Linux/XFree86 4.2.x

Meino Christian Cramer bf-committers@blender.org
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:38:43 +0100 (MET)

From: hans@lambermont.dyndns.org (Hans Lambermont)
Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Problem (crashes) with blender cvs and dri on Linux/XFree86 4.2.x
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:50:18 +0100

Hi Hans !

 ...thanks for your reply ! :)

hans> Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
hans>
hans> >  since some time blender 2.26+ (cvs) crashes often. I checked the core
hans> >  dump and found the following:
hans> >
hans> >  solfire:[mccramer]> gdb /usr/local/bin/blender core
hans>
hans> Did you build a debugging blender ?

	  Hum?
	  I know of the -d option to switch some "debug mode"...
	  Is it, what you mean ?

	  For builing blender I use the following script:

	  #!/bin/sh
      set -e
      unset CFLAGS
      unset CXXFLAGS
      export CC=gcc
      ./bootstrap
      configure --disable-openal
      make release
      sudo make install
      cd ..
      sudo rm -rf newdir

	  If the "debuggin blender is the default, then...
	  Please inform me, if not...I will rebuild blender then...

hans> >  #0  0x40b17265 in radeonUpdateTexLRU ()
hans> >    from /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/radeon_dri.so
hans>
hans> Because this is a little short. Extra history will help.

	  Hmmm...
	  I built the Linux-Kernel with agpart support for Radeon 7500/ATI
	  as module, installed the kernel and reboot.
	  I checked the logfile of XFree and found hw drm/dri enabled.
	  I start blender and after some renderings it crashes as before.

	  I rebuilt XFree (4.2.0/4.2.1/4.2.1.1/4.99.3), installed it and
	  found that the kernel module "radeon.o" was found too old by
	  XFree, so I cd to
	  XFree86-4.xx.xx/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel,
	  compiled the radeon.o there and cp'ed it to
	  /lib/modules/driver/chgar/drm/radeon.o.
	  After reboot I either had no hw dri/drm support (blender runs
	  more stabel) or I got hw dri/drm support up and running
	  (sometimes way slower than emulated via software...the world is
	  a patchwork of wonders...) and blender crashes by pressing
	  RENDER/ANIM and/or by aborting a rendering by ESC or because
	  just wants to crash.

	  Currently I am running XFree 4.2.1 again with hw dri/drm.

	  Because I again kill my machine (just kidding) ket me write down
	  this mail before experimenting with blender again...

hans> >  It seems, that the radeon_dri module is the bad guy...
hans>
hans> Could be, but perhaps Blender asks for something that is not supposed to
hans> work in the first place ;-)

	  ...?...

	  You are the doc, Doc!

	  :)

hans> >  glxgears has no problems to run.
hans>
hans> I'm not surprised. Blender probably uses more different OpenGL commands.

	  ;O)

	  May be it is simply too advanced and my XFree is to simple ? ;)

hans> >  GHOST_EventPrinter::processEvent, time: 26598, type: GHOST_kEventWindowSize
hans> >  GHOST_EventPrinter::processEvent, time: 27561, type: GHOST_kEventWindowActivate
hans> >  Segmentation fault (core dumped)
hans>
hans> Hmm, Maarten ? Any hints from this ?

	  ?

hans> >  Any hint is very welcome since a constantly crashing blender is a
hans> >  little annoying... ;O)
hans>
hans> Does the problem also show with older (NaN?) blender versions ?

	  I wil check this...let me send this mail and please mail me
	  back, what I can do to get an "debig-blender" and I will play
	  again Mr.Core Dump ;)))

	  Keep Hacking!
	  Meino

hans> Hans
hans> --
hans> http://lambermont.webhop.org/   () ascii ribbon campaign - against HTML mail,
hans>                                 /\ vCards and proprietary formats
hans> Bf-committers mailing list
hans> Bf-committers@blender.org