[Bf-committers] tackling Python (long)

Rick Kimball bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:04:15 -0500

Michel Selten wrote:

 > * vrml
 >   How about removing the vrml import sources from the tree and convert
 >   the sources to a plugin? I don't know -yet- if the current api
 >   supports enough functionality to do so.
 >   If we can do this, then the vrml import plugin can be maintained
 >   independently from blender, just as the YAFRAY export plugin.
 >   (hmm, maybe I should replace the word 'plugin' by 'python script').

One of the most appealing features about blender is all the builtin
functionality in one executable.  The ability to create plugins is
a nice bonus. However,  I feel it is better to cram more stuff
into one single executable.

To me, it seems undesireable to make people roam around to 20 sites
to find the latest XYZ plugin. Once they find the one they want,
they will have to make sure it matches the version of blender
they are running.  They will have to install, maybe compile,
the plugin-in and install it in the right place. Then have to
debug it when it doesn't work.

I lean towards adding more importers and exporters into
the "standard" blender.  It will make blender more appealing to
a wider audience.  We should start adding full featured
import and export for all the common formats.  3ds, maya,
obj, lw, vrml2, x3d.  By full featured, I don't mean just the
geometry. Full featured should mean geometry, textures,
vertex and face color, animation, procedural textures,
UV texture. Bascialy everything that is possible.

What do others think?

-rick