[Bf-committers] tackling Python (long)

Kent Mein bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:35:25 -0600

I'd say if its alot of work to get the 2.10 api back just making
a "converter" would probably be all right.  (Note: I'm not saying
we should just make a converter every time we upgrade the api.
I think focusing on a strong good api that will work for everyone
is higher priority than re-implementing older out of date api's.)

I have no problem with removing vrml from the api however....
As part of the api it would be really great if there was a
standard template for import/export routines.  Basically a import/export
plugin wrapper that has a generic interface to a plugin and the blender data.
Basically Something like DBI for perl or python.
I think that would simplify alot of the import/export plugins and
make it easier for users to use.  Then we could even have a directory
reserved for import/export scripts and blender would just look in that
directory for the various import/export things handled...

I like the idea of leaving things the way they are now and developing
a parallel experimental api to replace the old one.

Keeping in mind that the new system should be able to support multiple
versions of the api is a good idea.  Theoretically the api would be
backwards compatible but hey we all know how well that works. So designing
it with the ability to support various versions is good.

Kent
--
mein@cs.umn.edu
http://www.cs.umn.edu/~mein