[Bf-committers] On storing information in meshes..

Kiernan Holland bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:14:59 -0700

I think that it should be possible to store any amount of information with
edges and
faces. The only way to do this is offer pointers from the edges and faces
for
extended use.. I know adding 4 bytes to each that may never be used is not
very efficient, but if you wish to add your own information to the mesh in
the future,
it should be possible, say you write a plugin that tags informations to
edges, vertices
and faces. Examples I'm think of is how 3DsMax works with Combustion,
where multiple layers of information is stored in pixels and possibly in
the data structures
that represent the objects.

In sequence editor for instance it would be nice if you could store UV
coordinates
into the frame  buffer, so that for instance you could texture map objects
in
post production. I don't see what the big deal is about Combustion, blender
could
do that..

I'm only saying that there is a lot of use that could be realized if simply
mesh data and pixel data could be loaded with more information.. It may not
make sense now, but it will in the future when you see what people can do
with it..

I can think of many uses for embedding normal information into surfaces,
like for redundant normal information, you could define the shading of the
surface
and then store information that would help out in a post-production module
that
implements impressionistic renderings of objects. There are people
using packages like AVIsynth to reuse motion vectors from MPEG movies to
add motion blur to video in post production.. I think the reuse of vectors
and
embedding in objects could be very useful to artists.. Imagine for instance
if
you could store vectors in a surface to determine the direction that
particles are
to fly, or the way that a drop of water should flow down a surface. Another
example
would be, if you could store a vector with a fraction associated which
could represent the
probability of a character passing in the direction of the vector over the
surface,  a vector oriented
in the opposite direction of the characters movement could define friction,
a vector oriented
away from the surface could determine the probability the character can
jump at that point (virtual rock?),
a vector oriented in the direction of the chracters movement on the surface
the character is
walking over could determine the probability the character moves fast over
the surface (rivers,
conveyor belts, etc.).

But these are only examples of what advantages can be reaped from allowing
extensibility in anonymous surface information, as well as in 2D pixel
information.

riseofthethorax@earthlink.net
http://www.bl3nder.com/