[Bf-committers] Build System: what about Jam

Michel Selten bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 21:42:19 +0100

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 13:25, Jorrit Tyberghein wrote:
> In the Crystal Space 3D Engine project (http://crystal.sf.net) we are
> now migrating
> from 'make' to 'jam':
>
>     http://www.boost.org/tools/build/
>
> We are pretty happy with this. It is very easy to make Jamfiles (a lot
> easier
> than makefiles) and it is fast though. It also has a built-in dependency
> checker.

Hi,

when I was looking for a possible alternative, I first was thinking what
we can do without giving the developers a hard time. So, my first
thought at that moment was Python; every developer has it installed.
That's the reason why I didn't go for a Perl based system, or a system
based on another script language.
Another reason why I picked SCons was because the scripts are also pure
Python, so there's enough documentation and knowledge on that language.
I first want to see what the results with SCons are before I look into
another tool (and possibly different script language).

With regards,
	Michel