[Bf-committers] For the Python gurus!

Michel Selten bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 21:01:02 +0100

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 12:25, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://www.swig.org/exec.html

Hi, my first attempts when I started rewriting the Python API have been
with using swig.
Look at one of the first commit messages here:
http://www.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2003-February/002063.html

and a cvs message when I removed it again:

http://projects.blender.org/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/blender/source/blender/python/api2_2x/Blender.c?rev=1.2&cvsroot=bf-blender&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

There's at least one function in the Python API that can return various
types of data (int, char*, float). With swig, this is not possible to
implement. At that moment I chose to drop Swig and implement the
functionality by hand.

> Especially for Michel, but everyone who's into python.. they might
> already know it though.
> I received an email from a developer who modularized/rewrote his game
> engine using this system. Might be an interesting research topic for
> 2.5->3.0 migration.

Yep, this is definately an interesting option for the future, some
functions may not be backward compatible though, but we have to
investigate how many functions are involved.

With regards,
	Michel