[Bf-committers] Improving the quality of soft shadows

Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:53:09 +0100

Hi,

It was one of the first things I tried, getting rid of the annoying
banding in soft shadow. I didn't get quickly good results with it
though... the sample patterns I use now need much more research. First
want to have an optimal one, and then I'll retry. :)

I also want to include in the octree system a method to quickly reject
rays that don't intersect, based at previous results, or some adaptive
schedule. That way firing 100 shadow rays can be much faster.

Last note; I think you will like what I am coding now (not committed),
and that's getting rid of a lot of nasty globals from rendering. The
main shading loop will be fully made local, accepting an input  and
output like:

shade(RenderInput *ri, ShadeResult *sr)
and a couple of default helper calls to calculate texture coordinates
and OSA info.

Which will enable all kinds of nifty stuff later on.

-Ton-