[Bf-committers] build systems for Irix?

John K. Walton bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:19:30 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Kiernan Holland wrote:

> It might require that code that is specific to Irix be seperated out
> and made as a linkable library, and then to have special calls to that
> specific code from within the GCC compiled portions.. Any build that
> prefers a proprietary build over a non-proprietary one will have lots
> of problems across the board..

the point is to  avoid code that locks you into gcc compiler,
since gcc code does not perform as well as mipspro. having a build
system that has problems across the board also includes non-proprietary
ones too.

it's perfectly reasonable to have code that compiles on all platforms.
it's why we got to where we are today.

> If you want to compile blender to be able to run on a multi-processor
> cluster of some sort that would probably call for a different beast,
> blender broken up into modules that talk to each other, for instance.

run.. yeah. compile. nah.

> Also I would tend to wonder how much of SGI's compilers are designed
> to regard open source movement and non-existent..  I wonder how much
> the politics of software/hardware sales enters into the splitting of
> non-proprietary open source developments. One easy way is to change
> the way things are done, that sometimes translates to changing the
> language and the tools..

i won't touch this rambling with a ten foot pole.

>If blender breaks in Irix, its probably SGI's fault, not Gnu's..

from what i've seen it's always simple code issues that the irix compiler
is more stringent in reporting. and since you don't have an sgi compiler
you don't have any thing base your assertion on anyway.

in anycase, this POINT is to be able to use sgi's CASE tools to find
performance problems in the code that benefits eveyont not carve
out a SGI only hole to. If I wanted to do that i could just fork it.

http://www.sgi.com/developers/devtools/tools/prodev.html