[Bf-committers] Proposal: New build system for blender (+ topic for meeting)

Michel Selten bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:30:12 +0100

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 04:42, John K. Walton wrote:
> > Finally I'd like to add my view on the whole thing is any solution we have
> > should have an alternate build system.  (I'm not saying we should stick with
> > autoconf.  What I am saying is I like having choices.  Assuming SCons is
> > the greatest thing since sliced bread that doesn't mean we should
> > nuke the NaN Makefiles and project builder etc files for one build system.)
>
> I would like a build system i can use on a >= 4P cc-numa processor, also
> a openmosix cluster. i would also like to be able to use sgi workshop
> CASE tools. I am not clear what a python based build environment means to
> that.

I can't really test this multi processor build since I 'only' have a
system with one processor. So I hope you can give me the results once I
have committed the necessary files to cvs.

> (btw the auto*build is way broken on iric, and
> that means gcc). any new build system must support irix compiler fist,
> and gcc as a last resort (for performance reasons).

The SCons build system has default support for Irix. Of course, I
haven't been able to test that yet since I don't have such a system

With regards,
	Michel