[Bf-committers] Proposal: New build system for blender (+ topic for meeting)

Michel Selten bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:27:41 +0100

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 04:01, Kent Mein wrote:
> Didn't make the meeting I was out of town.

No problem, I don't mind responding via mail as well :)

> All I'd like to add is lets see it in action first before just saying this
> is the new default build system.  There may be all kinds of problems that
> pop out of the woodwork.  Hopefully it will be much better to deal with.
> If you could provide a diff all of the platform managers and others could
> give it a try.

Before we bombard the SCons build to the new default build system, I'd
like to have it tested very thouroughly as well, so don't worry about
that.
As has been spoken yesterday during the meeting, I will make a couple of
updates to the system to let developers specify some options (enable
game engine, specify location of libraries, cflags, ...) Then I will
commit the changes to cvs. The SCons build system in no way changes any
of the other existing systems at the moment.

> Finally I'd like to add my view on the whole thing is any solution we have
> should have an alternate build system.  (I'm not saying we should stick with
> autoconf.  What I am saying is I like having choices.  Assuming SCons is
> the greatest thing since sliced bread that doesn't mean we should
> nuke the NaN Makefiles and project builder etc files for one build system.)

Well, too many different systems has proven to be a bit of a hassle to
maintain - but I must say that all changes are done very quick which is
a compliment to those who make those updates!
So, in my opinion time will tell what we will do with the build systems.
I think however that if the SCons system is working satisfactory, at
least the autoconf system should be removed. (A small configure.ac
script can be there to check for scons, just as I described in the
initial mail).

With regards,
	Michel