[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/render/intern/source

Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:21:54 +0100

Hi,

In the meantime, I have rewritten most of the rendering stuff for
tracing... the summation of reflected light appeared to be incorrect
(specularity fading out too fast, specularity not suppressing
reflection, etc). I also did a test with gamma-corrected summation,
which looks much better as well. Light (energy) cannot be simply added
when you use RGB and view it on a monitor. For example the difference
between color 0.1 and 0.2 is much less apparant than difference between
0.5 and 0.6. Of course you can correct this with setting your monitor
brightness (gamma) at 2.5, but that will 'wash out' color a lot. Gamma
of 1.3-1.7 is much more common for displays (also for TV).

This is true for anti-aliasing as well. And that's what the 'gamma'
button in Blender is for. Gamma corrected antialiasing looks much
better on regular displays.

-Ton-