[Bf-committers] Proposal: New build system for blender (+ topic for meeting)

John K. Walton bf-committers@blender.org
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:42:34 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Kent Mein wrote:

> > Proposal:
> > My proposal would be to use SCons as the default build environment for
> > Blender 2.5 - if Blender 2.5 is still the plan. If not:
> > I would propose to implement SCons in current bf-blender and remove the
> > autoconf system. (For Linux users (me too), we could include a very tiny
> > If the feature to generate VC 6 files indeed works, we should also
> > remove that build system from cvs. With each added/removed .c file,
> > there's always too much time needed for getting the build systems to all
> > work again.
>
> Didn't make the meeting I was out of town.
> I'm all for examining other build systems.  I think that everyone will agree
> that autoconf is a pain in the butt to deal with.(from a developers point of
> view at least)
>
> All I'd like to add is lets see it in action first before just saying this
> is the new default build system.  There may be all kinds of problems that
> pop out of the woodwork.  Hopefully it will be much better to deal with.
> If you could provide a diff all of the platform managers and others could
> give it a try.

god show thanks!

> Finally I'd like to add my view on the whole thing is any solution we have
> should have an alternate build system.  (I'm not saying we should stick with
> autoconf.  What I am saying is I like having choices.  Assuming SCons is
> the greatest thing since sliced bread that doesn't mean we should
> nuke the NaN Makefiles and project builder etc files for one build system.)

I would like a build system i can use on a >= 4P cc-numa processor, also
a openmosix cluster. i would also like to be able to use sgi workshop
CASE tools. I am not clear what a python based build environment means to
that.

anyway, and long as wishes/requirements were being put on the table.
I would like these things. othwise it can't be built from toothpicks
asfar as I'm concerned. (btw the auto*build is way broken on iric, and
that means gcc). any new build system must support irix compiler fist,
and gcc as a last resort (for performance reasons).

thanks!
john