[Bf-committers] Proposal: New build system for blender (+ topic for meeting)

Kent Mein bf-committers@blender.org
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:01:01 -0600

> Proposal:
> My proposal would be to use SCons as the default build environment for
> Blender 2.5 - if Blender 2.5 is still the plan. If not:
> I would propose to implement SCons in current bf-blender and remove the
> autoconf system. (For Linux users (me too), we could include a very tiny
> If the feature to generate VC 6 files indeed works, we should also
> remove that build system from cvs. With each added/removed .c file,
> there's always too much time needed for getting the build systems to all
> work again.

Didn't make the meeting I was out of town.
I'm all for examining other build systems.  I think that everyone will agree
that autoconf is a pain in the butt to deal with.(from a developers point of
view at least)

All I'd like to add is lets see it in action first before just saying this
is the new default build system.  There may be all kinds of problems that
pop out of the woodwork.  Hopefully it will be much better to deal with.
If you could provide a diff all of the platform managers and others could
give it a try.

Finally I'd like to add my view on the whole thing is any solution we have
should have an alternate build system.  (I'm not saying we should stick with
autoconf.  What I am saying is I like having choices.  Assuming SCons is
the greatest thing since sliced bread that doesn't mean we should
nuke the NaN Makefiles and project builder etc files for one build system.)

Kent
--
mein@cs.umn.edu
http://www.cs.umn.edu/~mein