[Bf-committers] Bevel function

Matt Ebb bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:12:34 +1100

I find sleepless nights are the most productive, no matter how
unclearly I think during them :) Very Well done intrr and theeth!

Perhaps it's a little premature for these sorts of suggestions (heh),
but I have one. Manually entering the size value in blender units could
get very cumbersome. When modelling, I often turn the grid right off,
so I often have no concept of units in my mind. It's also difficult for
people to track if they have scenes that are scaled up or scaled down
further than usual. I can imagine it would take a lot of trial and
error to get it right. If you could change the amount of bevel
visually, by moving the mouse (think of Alt S shrink/fatten), it would
be much faster and more painless.

It would be great if there is some sort of visual interactivity to it,
a la Wings. Disclaimer, I don't know anything at all about how this
bevelling code works, but anyway, I'm prepared to look like an idiot if
there's a chance it may be useful :)...

It seems in goofster's edge cut and select that there's some way to
previsualise an action, and then display it in yellow without actually
enacting it. Could this be possibly done during the 4. 'shrink' step,
or just previsualising the 4. shrink step before you commit the action
(which goes and runs through all the steps again, with the values that
it remembered from the previs stage). If the shrink was somehow made
interactive (like hacking it in transform()? (could get nasty..), could
this somehow be possible?

Anyways, just some ideas. Excellent stuff so far.

matt