[Bf-committers] Bevel function
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 18:59:55 +0100 (CET)
Should there be any questions about the algorithm itself,
here's the basic way it works (developped in a sleepless
1. Split all faces so that they are "floating" unconnected
2. Search for edges that lie exactly on top of each other.
Make a quad between them.
3. Search for more than 2 vertices which lie exactly on
the same point. Make lists of lists of these.
4. Shrink all original faces (i.e., excluding the new quads)
using an algorithm that moves a face's edge towards the
face's center independantly of the shape of the face.
This algorithm has originally been inspired by #math on
Dalnet, theeth has later integrated a simpler, faster
5. Take the list of lists of vertices, and make n-gons between
each of the "clusters".
n-gons are made by calculating the Boundbox and extruding
all outer edges towards the center, merging in the middle.
Any questions on this wonderful algo? ;-)
| alexander ewering instinctive new media
| ae[@]instinctive[.]de http://www[.]instinctive[.]de