[Bf-committers] Re: CVS commit: blender/source nan_definitions.mk

John K. Walton bf-committers@blender.org
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:20:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Hans Lambermont wrote:

> John K. Walton wrote:
>
> > yes and when i looked i saw:
> >    ifneq ($(OS), irix)
> >       export NAN_SDL ?= $(shell sdl-config --prefix)
> >       export NAN_SDLLIBS ?= $(shell sdl-config --libs)
> >       export NAN_SDLCFLAGS ?= $(shell sdl-config --cflags)
> >    endif
> >
> > in a section that explicitly says "generic defaults for all platforms
> > which should be constant"
>
> But this (bad ifdef list idea in itself) broke it for FreeBSD. FreeBSD
> thinks we should use sdl11-config instead :-(

ouch.

> And with this ifneq part in front of the platform dependent section all
> other NAN_SDL* definitions in the platform dependent section wouldn't
> work anyway. That't why I cleaned it all up.
>
> > dependant. IMHO you don't set defaults, you test to make sure
> > every platform set it to something in the end.
>
> With the requirement to be able to predefine NAN_ stuff *and* have at
> least more than one platform that differs (we have 4) this is the only
> way.

predefine as 'UNDEFINED' then test for 'UNDEFINED' after all
the platform definitions have been done. if something is still
undefinied, then noone accounted for it, or thought about it.
still only my opinion, and it works great for hardware. but it
ain't broken now, so let's not fix it :-)

> > but i'm a hardware engineer, and we have to get it right the first
> > time (yeah, like THAT ever happened :-) . anyway, easy fix! and irix
> > is compiling again.
>
> yep :) Sorry for the inconvenience, apparently noone tested my proposed
> patch on Irix when I sent the announcement a week ago.

yeah, i usually do a fresh compile everyday, as best i can. i was
on vacation when the change occured.

> > since nobody ever gave me write cvs permissions, so all i can do
>
> I think you just need to ask, I cannot deal out cvs write permissions
> anymore since we moved to the sourceforge setup.

ok, someone give me write permissions please.