[Bf-committers] restore Game Engine project

Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:13:38 +0200

Hi,

> I think it would be a shame if the game engine were torn out, and I
> say this as
> one who uses blender to render film clips and as one who has little
> interest in
> playing games as such.

The 'torn out' thing is not meant to fully remove real-time/interactive
functionality for Blender. In contrary, I consider such options (as you
describe) interesting tools for artists to have in a 3D program. Also
in design discussions on Blender3 it plays a crucial role. So I really
agree with the rest of your mail.

My proposal was to remove the code from the default bf-blender project,
turn it into a separated project and make it a 'plugin' or 'extension'
to Blender. This because:

- there are doubts the current engine will ever be supported/improved.
- there are doubts if this engine is what we even want!
- we can bring back the 2.04 engine, which is 5% of the code, and much
simpler to maintain.
- to open possibilities to support other engines
- to bring focus for Blender back to a level we can actually support
(related to status of current code & teams).

We're still fighting with imperfect code, lack of documentation, lack
of coders who 'own' parts of the code. I really believe we can move on
with the current Blender architecture for a while, certainly up to a
'2.5' version. I would like to maximize the success factors for this,
and it doesn't help us when we try to target to maintain the full
feature prospectus NaN aimed at in the past... something the company
had loadsof difficulties with as well.

What most coders in the current teams are mostly motivated at to work,
is
(a) getting Blender improved as a tool; with emphasis at GUI, modeling,
animation, compositing and 'lay-out'.
(b) provide support in Blender for other programs, ranging from
renderers to other engines and CAD applications

Here's where the current focus is... probably a roadmap for 2.50 should
be based on that. We can move the more challenging target 'bridging the
gap between real-time 3D and traditional 3D' to the Blender 3.0 project.

-Ton-