[Bf-committers] restore Game Engine project

Kester Maddock bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:35:21 +1200

Hi Ton,

I've just been looking at the physics (ODE) side of things.

Currently, I have to say bring back solid! ODE is mostly a physics library
while solid is a collision detection library - ODE doesn't care about
collision detection; if you can find out where a collision occurs ODE can
work out how the physics should react.  Solid also has cones - good for
culling/radar sensor.

In a roadmap, I would:
1.  Bring back solid.
2.  Use ODE (over sumo) for physics

With ODE the benefit comes from it's joints system ie car steering systems and
proper armature support.

Currently, I have got ODE to where it is almost suitable for committing and
heavy testing (but not for release!!)

Kester