[Bf-committers] Meeting minutes from last two meetings

Fri, 8 Aug 2003 13:03:09 +0200

Hi all,

>  - The pre-release surely added to the quality of the Python API.
>    For future versions, pre-releases should be made whenever a new
>    big feature is added or when a part is rewritten.
>  - Another idea was to do beta releases until no more bugs are
>    found - just like a lot of other OpenSource projects do. No
>    consensus on this idea was made however.

OK, I am guilty! :)
For publicity reasons, doing a release before siggraph was very
welcome... and we will keep getting special moments like this; think of
a Blender Conference, or Christmas, etc. The tension between having
*real fixed* deadlines versus release quality is something I really
like!

After 2.27 - which went more chaotic I think - we agreed on defining a
shortlist of projects which need to be finished before scheduling a
release. The Python project went quite smooth in this context, the
audio integration was done a bit late (well, only related to
siggraph!). At the next meeting, and at this mailing list, we can
define such targets for 2.29.

Whether it's possible to do more beta releases really depends on what
kind of projects we do. I think it's also a learning process we go
through... with the developers getting more confident in predicting &
scheduling the impact of what changes in Blender actually invoke in
work-to-do.

> 3. Bug tracker
>  - Some more bold "PLEASE LOG IN!" or "Leave your name/email
>    address!" lines could be added to the bug tracker pages.

I'll do that today.

>  - Also, we should look at the tracker more often and try to fix the
>    ones we think we can fix. If you have a comment to add to a bug,
>    please add it!

In NaN we had the evil & picky Frank pointing everyone again & again to
this tedious & boring work... now, who's here interested in getting
hated by everyone?

> Okie, that were the major topics of the last two meetings. See you all
> next meeting - with Ton waving the hammer again.

Ack! I think you did a great job Michel, so... ;-)

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org