[Bf-committers] restore Game Engine project

Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:11:42 +0200

Hi,

> I for one would be against this. Having the game internal
> to blender hasn't seemed to stymied any projects to date.
> So, if separating it makes users suffer, and doesn't
> really improve the situation of developers, then
> what is the incentive?
>
> Chris
> (Who thinks we should bring the 'enji' engine back as
> a fast, tightly-integrated alternative too!)

My reasons:

- from a 'management' perspective: the engine is complex code nobody
understands nor maintains yet.
- the old NaN bug tracker has about 350 reports on the engine in it...
- the engine architecture already is (almost) completely separated from
Blender. It does a full conversion, and links a few components in the
blenkernel for Ipos and Armatures
- separating also means allowing to think over support for more engines
- I still intend to reconstruct/reorganize the entire Blender code from
scratch, especially to get ready for more development towards a 2.5
release. Still thinking this over though... but one of my requirements
would be to kill all code thats hardly used, buggy, or not actively
being supported.

We still have a long way to go, with - apart from the engine - at least
about 80% of the current code not being understood or supported by
others than me. This really bothers me a lot... documenting APIs would
help but can only been done effectively if we can also limit the amount
of code we actively support.

And, of course I am flattered that people love my old engine (which
seems to be nicked 'enji' now :-). The code is so incredible simple &
basic, that I wouldnt mind putting it back... as a nice interactive
tool to prototype & play with.

Anyhoo, we can discuss this more efficiently when I can present a
proposal for this 'code reorganization'. Until then, we can just put
Solid back, and have at least one open source release which is fully
functional, compared to 2.25.

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org