[Bf-committers] Gameengine - ODE and Python

Willian Padovani Germano bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:48:39 -0300

Hi,

From: "Alexander Ewering" <blender@instinctive.de>
(...)
> Concerning the gameengine, I have the following
> thoughts to share:
>
> I would not suggest using ODE, as it will
> certainly break compatibility with older games.

The idea of having both systems solves this.

The thing about ODE is how important it already is, the standard for open
source applications that need to simulate physics.  It's creator /
maintainer is well known and respected in the field, the development is
progressing nicely and there are already many projects using it, from
fast-paced games to accurate engineering / scientific simulation projects.

As mentioned in previous emails, Blender itself can benefit a lot if we
integrate this physics lib in it (mesh deformation, "automatic" realistic
behavior in animations).  The gameengine is a good chance to both help some
developers here get confortable with ODE and hopefully create a nice tool
for showcasing / playtest of ODE capabilities, expanding the interest in
Blender.

--
Willian, wgermano@ig.com.br