[Bf-committers] Blender C-Cookbook

Douglas Bischoff bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 07:53:42 -0400

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 06:43 AM, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Please give me some feedback on the idea!

Firstly, the idea of Blender 2.3 makes my mouth water. :-)

Second, doing a manual as was done for 2.0 would be excellent. I bought
that book for use with 2.25 and despite some tutorials being out of
date I was very impressed by the book and learned a LOT. The reference
pages on hotkeys alone was priceless. (Of course, then it got released
as a PDF for 1/4 the price... *grin*) How was the original book put
together? Would a template and some guidelines be set up, then ask
users either through the forums at blender.org or elysiun.com to draft
a proposal or sign on for a particular topic? Or solicit those who have
written good tutorials in the past to do a particular topic?

Last, the idea of a C cookbook is a great idea: if we were able to
finalize hooks into the code for external renderers, expand the
plug-ins to include plug-in renderers or post-processors as well as
textures and sequences, and document the heck out of how to do that...
oh and don't forget documenting the python API for scripting chapters...

I think the project is an excellent idea. Who will manage such a beast
is probably the next big question, but as an author and blender user I
would try to participate!

-Doug Bischoff