[Bf-committers] Code documentation

Casey Corn bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 16:17:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

I am seriously interested in documenting the blender
code, both to help me understand the structure of
blender, and to help others get started.  I have
several questions which I hope can be answered here.

First, what are the established procedures for
documenting the code, beyond what I found at:

http://www.blender.org/modules/documentation/intranet/conventions/index.html

(which, from my admittedly limited experience, doesn't
seem to cover a whole lot beyond "use doxygen" :)

Second, what structure is used for the doxygen
comments?  What goes on the main page, what
sections/groups/lists/external docs/etc are used?  Has
anyone here ever used doxygen on large projects
before?

Also, what is the procedure for submitting
documentation for the code?  Is there any mechanism
for reviewing the documentation for correctness?

What are the priorities for documenting the code, if
any?

What types of stuff needs to be included in the
documentation?  Stuff like todo lists, bugs, disabled
features, code cleanups, design goals, etc?

I would really like to help out with this project, but
I know my coding skills are not (yet) up to hacking on
the source.  I know how to read c and c++, and am
learning Python, so I figure that going through the
code and figuring out what happens and why would be a
great way to get experience with the ins and outs of
professional software development.  Why not write down
what I figure out, to save other newbies the hassle?

Thanks for your time,
Casey