[Bf-committers] Meeting report, sun april 13

Stefan Gartner bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:45:33 +0200

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 13:02, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> --> New fonts & interface translation
> Discussed was where the translation files should reside. This also
> related to other external blender files (.B.blend and such). Since
> translation files are system-wide (not user related) LarstiQ proposed a
> /usr/share/local/ dir. Others preferred a $HOME/.blender/ directory.
> Typically this issue is a bit platform dependent. Since the meeting
> couldn't agree on it, decision has been moved to the bf-blender admins
> (LarstiQ, Phase, SirDude).
> At OSX there is a problem with a multibyte to wide character
> translation. Sgefant mentioned he has no idea to do it. The discussion
> on this topic will be held at this maillist, so anyone who knows,
> please tell.

After a bit of experimenting, I got it working somehow. Apparently there is a
problem with the encoding: The original code uses UCS-2; when using UTF-8
instead, mbstowcs(3) seems to work and latin characters (except umlauts) get
displayed correctly. Using UCS-2LE fixes the display of umlauts, but i think
non-european languages are still broken. Why UCS-2LE "works" but UCS-2
doesn't, is still a mystery to me. Any advice from Unicode experts is
welcome.

And now for the weird stuff: after switching the language for the first time,
you have to open any fileselector window to get the translation working.
After that, changing languages works as expected.

greetings,
sgefant