[Bf-committers] Funny feature commented out :)

Sun, 13 Apr 2003 13:29:54 +0200

Hi,

Whoa, hidden features in Blender! It surprises me nobody found the
raytracer yet!!! ;-)

'Grouping' was an experimental implementation to provide a way to
establish Object relationships other than 'Parenting'. Having this
feature for selection purposes is quite obvious, and seemed to be
useful. However, other functionality for a Group was not easy to find
or implement. One thing I quickly implemented was 'Group Keys', were
the Ipo blocks of all Objects could be animated (switch to other Ipo
Blocks interactively). Somewhere in the code you should be able to find
a Group Actuator, which worked for the old game engine (up to 2.04).

This system was quity hackish, and was replaced with the much better
Armature and Bones system, as implemented and documented by Reevan in
the 2.1x releases.

I have no problem with restoring the Group feature for selection. But
it could be useful to evaluate this a bit more, what else can it be
used for? And how does it integrate nicely with Blender?

-Ton-