[Bf-committers] Linux Building

bf-committers@blender.org bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:14:17 -0500

Quoting Michel Selten <michel.s@home.nl>:

> hmm, this is strange. I'm using gcc 3.2.2 on a Gentoo system. No problem
> here. So there must be something else that's causing the problem.
> You're buildingg on a Athlon right? Maybe gcc is causing a problem in
> optimizing code for the Athlon. I have a Pentium myself.
> But then again, you say KDE is running fine. Hrm, strange.
>
> Although I couldn't be of much help, at least you know now that there
> are successful reports building with gcc 3.2.2 :)

I too am using Gentoo, on a dual Athlon MP, and Blender works fine (until I run
into the "rendering with ATI Radeon causes a crash" bug, but that is a DRI issue
with xfree for which a patch at bugs.xfree.org exists [and which I haven't yet
had a chance to apply to xfree 4.3]).

As another datapoint, I compile with CFLAGS="-march=athlon-mp -O3 -pipe
-fomit-frame-pointer".  Perhaps the core dumps being experienced by others
relate to using an older version of gcc?

regards,

Jean.