[Bf-committers] Linux Building

Charles Wardlaw bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 09:32:30 -0700 (PDT)

> it's a sad day when autoconf doesn't work on a GNU/Linux system
> though.
> another reason to can it.

Not at all.  The reason it doesn't work right now is because of the
sheer complexity of the codebase, and the fact that autoconf system is
still a work in progress.  Once finished, it will be a wonderful way to
get blender building on all systems; the current nan makefiles are
still a might confusing to many newbies (and, in fact, kept me from
building blender for about a month ^_^; ).

Also, there're over a few dozen makefiles inside directories, since the
nan makefiles just do a make by dir, which is confusing.  A few
top-level monolithic makefiles might do a better job, but I'm not
volunteering for organizing that switch.

- Charles