[Bf-committers] to make or not to make

Sat, 26 Oct 2002 16:53:15 +0200

Hi Kent,

Cool, I would propose to follow your recommendation. The Cmake debate is
too confusing for me, and it seems to add unwanted complexity in this
stage. Forcing developers to install an extra tool before being ready to
develop is not too nice... and it creates another dependency too.

I'm renown (infamous!) for my xenofobia in adding external toolkits in
Blender. Supporting OpenGL and Python already have added a lot of
troubles... not to speak of the STL (libcio Solid), OpenAL or Fmod. If
we like Blender to be "cross platform" these dependencies can refine the
target platforms quite some.

Today, we move to our incredible nice new server machine at the new
sponsoring provider. This means the limits (space, bandwidth) are
solved, and we can seriously start building new services at blender.org.
Hans has volunteered to set up CVS there. Meaning:

- a new tree (cvs01) where everyone here can contribute to
- commit mails being sent to this maillist
- webCVS to browse as well (please Hans! :-)

So, for the time being we can do:

- Unix users: commit changes related to autoconfig/make and getting
blender compiled/running
- Windows users: commit changes related to projectfiles and getting
blender compiled/running
- Windows users: check the autoconfig/make stuff with Cygwin as well
- Everyone: do regular updates, to check changes with your OS/setup
- Everyone: think of some clear documentation to accompany the new
'release' with.

CVS commit rules:
- always FIRST do a full update, and test/run Blender with that before
committing
- clearly document your changes in the commit, mention a clear warning
when you suspect your changes might break projectfiles or makefiles.

If you don't have a password yet for CVS write, just mail this list.
Several people already have access, and can add you.

Any suggestions, remarks?

-Ton-