[Bf-committers] CVS, Make & MSVC

Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:18:42 +0200

Hi,

Great! Activity at the bf-committers list!
To summarize what has been discussed:

- we definitely want to support MSVC project files!

- we're not the first open source project out there with this problem,
there *has* to be a little tool to turn Makefiles into project files?
But that would still give troubles, because committing changes in CVS by
windows developers then still should be Makefile compatible...

- An alternative is:
Is it possible to 'mark CVS dirty' or so, meaning that when someone
commits a change in projectfiles or makefiles, he also sends a (well
documented!) message to CVS marking it "MAKE_NEEDS_UPDATE" or
"MSVC_NEEDS_UPDATE". Someone else then can fix it, and mark CVS clean
again.
This requires a discipline; the Unix guys never commit into a
"MAKE_NEEDS_UPDATE" CVS, but agree to fix it first. The Windows guys
never commit into a "MSVC_NEEDS_UPDATE" CVS, but fix that first as well.
Also: a strict rule is that you never commit BEFORE having updated to
the latest CVS status, and compiled & tested that version.
This way we can also comminicate about the status to non-committing
people who want the latest CVS update.

- lib directory: we will offer all GPL and LPGL and Blender libs
compiled for all platforms. According to me only the FMOD audio library
has to be downloaded externally.

- autoconf: I have no opinion about that. Maintaining makefiles was
never my competence. :)

- CVS backup: we are moving to a new server this week. It only has a
single disk now, but another will be added soon. That will be the
permanent mirror. With the new provider I'll also make a deal for a
regular tape backup... I keep you informed about that.

A few points that have not been discussed yet:

1. The general directory structure. Does this need to be changed?
2. Is there still a lot of NAN (define, env. variable) stuff that should
be renamed?
3. Is there a need for a different 'develop' and 'release' version of
Blender? I can remember a discussion that Blender should compile with
dynamic libs for developers, and with static libs for release.
4. We need a very clear howto doc for new developers doing a first checkout.
5. We need a disciplined set of CVS commit rules... :-)

Thanks!

-Ton-