[Bf-committers] Re: bootstrap replacement

Michel Selten bf-committers@blender.org
26 Nov 2002 20:10:59 +0100

Hi again,

> I got the bootstrap script from the following page:
> http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_43.html
> (It talks about why its named bootstrap, as well as alludes to some
> problems with autogen.sh scripts out there)

okay, thank you for the link. I never knew of the existance of this
book. I downloaded it now, so I'm using it as an input document as
well...

> As far as configure.ac vs configure.in, configure.ac is the new name for it.
> And I think it makes it easier to talk about files.  (You can now say
> automake produces .in's from .am's and not have to explain that
> configure.in is something different)

Yup, I agree with you about the naming convention. I made a copy of
configure.ac to configure.in. (This means I had both of them). autoconf
prefered to have configure.ac. So I removed configure.in again :)

> I'm by no means an expert just going with what I've found out there and
> seemed to be the clearest/easiest to work with.

I'm no expert as well, I just made some observations on how other
projects are handling this automake/autoconf stuff, so I thought I'd
mention it here.

I just made an update of my cvs version of Blender and it's getting
better! With one minor adjustment I came to the intern/python/freeze
part. There it seems to be missing intern/python/frozen. (Yesterday I
had to update some files, but they are already updated in cvs. GREAT!)

I had to remove the macro reference AC_FUNC_REALLOC in configure.ac
(root of blender) to get 0 warnings before I started the ./configure
script. The macro I mentioned is unknown on my system.

This is the configuration I'm using:
- Linux Mandrake 8.1 (heavily modified) on a AMD Athlon 750
- Linux-kernel 2.4.8
- automake 1.6.3 (the same version ofcourse applies to aclocal)
- autoconf 2.53
- libtool 1.4.2
- python 2.2.1
- gcc 2.96

I updated my bootstrap script to check for aclocal, automake and
autoconf. (I took those parts from the autogen.sh script I sent
yesterday). Should I post this new file here on the mailing list or do
you rather wait with such updates until blender is compiling & linking?

Michel