[Bf-committers] Linux vs Window vs Irix vs etc.. Should be put in machine dependent bin..

Hans Lambermont bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 12:50:00 +0100

Kiernan J Holland wrote:

> How much of the blender source code is machine dependent,

very little

> and how much is not. The machine dependent stuff over time should be
> extracted from the source and the rest should be interfacing
> abstracted layers that connect to the machine dependent stuff, so that
> we don't have a package that only works one way on one platform and
> not the same way on another.

Yep, that's difficult, but it should be our goal indeed. Interesting for
multi-platform render farms ;-)

> Any machine dependent code should not be in the blender source but
> should be represented as plugins.

That's a bit overdone I'm afraid. Length of integers etc already vary
from machine to machine ... Not to mention the randomizers (does windows
finally have a /dev/urandom equivalent ?).

Hans
--
http://lambermont.webhop.org/