[Bf-committers] Mac OS X status

Maarten Gribnau bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:22:47 +0100

Hi Stefan,

> yesterday I tried compiling blender on Mac OS X 10.2.2 using the
> original
> makefiles and succeeded after fooling around a bit:
Good to hear it is working. I am running on the exact same system.

> * in /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework I made GL a symlink to
> Headers (so that the compiler finds header files like <GL/gl.h>)
Strange, this was already present on my machine and I did not know it
was not standard. It could be one of the NaN developers did this
because I am working on a ex-NaN machine.

> * I had to uncomment the line defining NAN_PYTHON_BINARY in
> nan_definitions.mk
> (what is it used for?)
In the repository it is uncommented. According to CVS it was entered by
Kent "Committing LarstiQ's patch for NAN_PYTHON_BINARY and
NAN_MXTEXTTOOLS". I don't know what it is for either.

> * as the README already suggests, I had to run ranlib on the .a files
> in
> lib/darwin-6.2-powerpc and obj/darwin-6.2-powerpc. libfrozen.a was a
> bit odd
> though, as it seems to be recreated everytime I run make. My
> (short-term)
> solution was to edit source/blender/bpython/frozen/Makefile and add
> "ranlib
> $(OCGDIR)/blender/bpython/$(DEBUG_DIR)libfrozen.a" to the libfrozen
> target.
> Unfortunately the makefile is generated by running the freeze script in
> intern/python/freeze...
> (On desaster's tree I just edited the Makefiles in intern/ to run
> ranlib after
> creating the .a files in lib/darwin-*, which seems to work. Maybe
> that's a
> solution to the ranlib problem. For some reason the problems with
> libfrozen.a
> didn't show up there, though.)
What is desaster's tree?

> * I had to create a lib dir in source/ode (otherwise ar whines about
> lib/libode.a not existing or something like that), but i think this is
> related to cvs deleting empty directories and not a fault of the build
> system
> itself.
You don't have to build ode anymore. The current Makefiles skip ode and
link with the ode lib that is in CVS in the lib/darwin-6.1-powerpc
directory. Maybe you should update you Makefiles?

> * the gameengine doesn't seem to work (I think it's the same on
> Linux). Does
> anyone have an idea why?
It should run, both in Blender and the stand-alone game engine. There
is a major problem in that the old files have their physics (and the
ray sensor) broken.

> I'll try building it with Project Builder next and see how far I'll
> get...
I am curious! The version in CVS is the first attempt. Be gentle!
If you run into the problem that Blender's window is too large, you can
give the famous command line option -p 32 32 800 600 through an option
in Project Builder. It is hard to find (at least it took me a while).
In the targets screen, click on the blender executable.

Maarten