[Bf-committers] New project, let's move on!

Gilles J. Seguin bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:57:11 -0500

David Megginson wrote:

> Frederick Lee writes:
>
>  > > The amount of time involved in getting Blender autoconfed is disturbing.
>  > > Although I'm happy with the efforts people put in it, there's no clear
>  > > outlook when it will be finished. I've had discussions with Kent Mein
>  > > and Hans Lambermont on this topic yesterday, and they agree on the
>  > > following:
>  >
>  > I'm also disturbed by the time involved.  For me, the biggest challenge
>  > is trying to figure out just what files are supposed to go together to
>  > form what.  The NaN makefiles are, frankly, write-only text.  It's
>  > extremely difficult to read it.  The "base" Blender modeller was easy
>  > enough to figure out without reading the NaN build stuff, but the game
>  > engine and standalone player are being real PITAs.
>
> Why work in serial rather than parallel?  My only suggestion is to
> rename the static Makefiles to Makefile.static (or something similar)
> so that they don't get in the way of autoconf development.

What peoples are doing.
Possible solutions,
- ask cvs users to add .cvsignore files with a line having Makefile on it.
  Add the script to source/tools directory
  or add a config directory and the script put there with all
  the files needed by the autoconfiscation and uncluttering
  the top source directory.
- have autoconf to use GNUmakefile, which is the default for gnu make.
  or have Makefile.am to know how to do this