[Bf-committers] New project, let's move on!

Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:17:43 +0100

Hi everyone,

The amount of time involved in getting Blender autoconfed is disturbing.
Although I'm happy with the efforts people put in it, there's no clear
outlook when it will be finished. I've had discussions with Kent Mein
and Hans Lambermont on this topic yesterday, and they agree on the
following:

- continue with autoconf as a secondary project, to be completed
somewhere in Q1 2003.

- fix the current makefiles/project files system in the very short term,
to get ready for actual Blender development.

Most important reasons for this are:

- Autoconf is a very complex system to implement, and only a few people
can do that work.
- Autoconf experts for other platforms than Linux are hard to find
- The old NaN Makefile system provides functionality that still
outperforms what we think is possible with autoconf in the short term
- Both systems can easily live together without conflicts.

It's becoming a waste of time for all potential Blender developers out
there to wait for autoconf. Kent Mein also hinted this in his status
report a few days ago.

For decisions on autoconf (how to implement it) I've pointed to Mesa3d,
an excellent example of a cross platform project. Please check this out,
  copy from it what needed, and don't hesitate to contact the project
moderators; they know Blender, and might be eager to help.

Efforts to get the current makefiles/project files working should be as
limited and simple as possible; just getting the current code compiled
and having a Blender running with it. Even when that's without player or
plugin. Associated with this work is some docs on how to do it, and
which OS/tool versions (releases) are required minimum for it. The
document as already committed by Micheal Selten
(docs/building_blender.html) is an excellent start for it.

I would like to appoint a few 'moderators' for this stage, for each OS
(or Blender version). The moderator will be able to provide guidlines,
and can accept/reject code submissions from others.

MacOSX: Stefan Gartner (sgefant)
Sun Solaris: Kent Mein (sirdude)
Linux: Frederick Lee (phaethon)
IRIX: John Walton (JWalton)
FreeBSD: Hans Lambermont
Windows: Maarten Gribnau (or Simon Clitherow, aphex, please let me know)

The people above: please let me know if you can agree with it. And if
so, communicate about what has to be done, when it will be done, and who
will do it!

Can we target this before Christmas? I just *love* Christmas deadlines! :-)

Thanks,

-Ton-

(BTW: at projects.blender.org the first version of sourceforge is
running. There seems to be a problem with the database, so it doesn't
work yet. The volunteers now are looking at installing gforge instead, a
very promising SF fork: http://gforge.org. They've got a Christmas
deadline too)

Ton Roosendaal | ton@blender.org | Blender Foundation
Amsterdam | The Netherlands |  http://www.blender.org