[Bf-committers] Status & progress?

Kent Mein bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:42:34 -0600

Ton asked me to write a little more detail here:

So here goes, feel free to add/comment on stuff.
This is from my point of view so there are probably even errors :)
If so correct them.

To start with I think we are to the point where we need to Nail down
who is in charge of which platform(s) and or binarys for them,
that will also give us a better idea of where we are on each platform and
what needs to be done still.

Summary of status:
In general blender builds on at least some systems but the game-mode is
missing/incomplete.  Within the next week I'm assuming this will be mostly
cleaned up.  (While it may not be working we'll have a better picture of
what needs to be done here)

The other big problem is the endian issues.  Shouldn't take too long to work
out someone just needs to make sure the right defines are being passed to
the compiler and we need to figure out how to build dna.c properly for each
platform.  (Someone should be able to do this in a day or so looking
at the following examples:
http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_toc.html

The blender-player is tied to the problems with blender and will hopefully
be fixed at the same time, I haven't sat down and looked at what exactly
gets built to create this binary.  Actually a good todo for someone
would be to trace through each of the directory's and see if its building
stuff it should not and or missing something it should be building.
(Like the IK stuff in the intern dir)

The webplugin I would say is pretty low priority at this point.  I
haven't taken a look at it yet I'm guessing it won't be too tough to get
this working once someone sits down and parses through what exactly needs
to be built.

Now what I think would be good is to come up with a checklist of things to do
in priority:
Looking at the sources for 2.25 we have the following platforms:
Windows:
Freebsd:
Irix:
Linux:
OSX:
Solaris:

What we should really do is try to document the following in order of
importance:

Contact for that platform:

Does it build with the old Makefiles only modifying source/nan_definitions.mk
If not what do you need to get it to work and or what do you need to change?)

Does it build with the new configure stuff?  (If so what what did you need to
pass it?  If not what did you do to fix it (add -lblah to the link line),
and or what errors are you stuck on)

Then of course does it run.

First answer this question without --with-gameengine --enable-gameplayer
Then answer it with them.

Does it build the blender-player.

Does it build the webplugin.

I will try and submit the above for Solaris later today more flushed out but
here is a quick summary:
I know for a fact the old makefiles need some tweaking on the libfrozen stuff.
It use to build for me just fine both on Solaris and Linux.
(I also had it running on Solaris)

It builds with the new configure stuff with the following options for me:
setenv LDFLAGS "-L/soft/gcc-3.2/SunOS5.8/lib -R/soft/gcc-3.2/SunOS5.8/lib"
../blender/configure --prefix=/usr/local/blender \
        --with-ssl=/soft/ssl/openssl-0.9.6e \
        --with-ode=/usr/local \
        --with-gameengine \
        --enable-gameplayer