[Bf-committers] Experimental Debian package of Fre Blender is now available

Masayuki Hatta bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:17:57 +0900

Hi there,

Finally I got some free time to prepare an experimental Debian package
of Free Blender for your amusement.  Note that this package is built
on sid, so may not work on woody.

I made it apt-gettable, so just add the following lines to your
/etc/apt/sources.list:

  deb http://people.debian.org/~mhatta/debian/blender/ ./
  deb-src http://people.debian.org/~mhatta/debian/blender/ ./

And do "apt-get update; apt-get install(or source) blender".

Currently it has a bunch of deficiencies, that's why I'm reluctant to
upload it to the Debian archive immediately.  I hope we can fix them
pretty soon:

o gameplayer is disabled.

o The binary is called blender.bin.  It's easy to make a "blender"
  symlink to blender.bin, but I just left it as it is at this time.

o Python stuff are not installed.  I don't know so much about Python,
  I appreciate your suggestion.

o Maybe I should break the package up into several parts, like
  blender, libblender0 and libblender-dev.  Or I might have to call it
  blender-publisher or whatever.  I'm not sure.

o It doesn't have decent manpages.

And maybe much more.

The build process is kinda automated(but still need some human
intervention), so I think I can update the package fairly often, in a
"nightly-build" manner.

Anyway I really appreciate your feedback, suggestion, patches, etc.
Send me mail.

Regards,
MH

--